September 15, 2012

Amazing Chai Recipe

I don't usually blog recipes because I'm not so "at home" in the kitchen. But living in S. Asia has forced me to get a little braver and a lot more experimental. Basically, if I miss something, I have to look up options for making it myself and tweak the recipe, if possible, based on what we can easily/cheaply get here. We can get a good deal of import goods, but I try to stay away from the import stores as much as possible as they aren't friendly on the budget.

So "chai" is a daily staple here. But "chai" is simply Hindi for "tea" and there are all sorts of variations. My favorite here, is masala chai (most people's preference) which is tea with milk, spices, and sugar. The richer tea is brewed with milk (no water at all), fresh spices, and plenty of sugar. I've found a variation I like to make for myself and for company, but I still miss "american chai latte". Like the Starbucks or coffee shop variety that is full of amazingly flavorful spices and vanilla.

Especially with the mansoon rains and cooler temperatures, I've been wanting lots of chai. But it's an effort to make it fresh everyday, just for me and Kit. So I found a solution to my homesickness for Tazo or Big Train Chai concentrate so I can make chia latte's at home easily.

This recipe is so great, whether you live in Asia or US, I recommend trying it b/c it's SO much cheaper then paying $3 a pop at a coffee shopt or even buying the $4 concentrate at the grocery store. It is easy to make and you can tweak it per your preferred taste and sweetness desired. Here's the link so I can't take any credit for it. I follow the recipe almost exactly, except I use whole black pepper balls rather than ground because I don't want left-over bits flouting around. I also try to lessen the sugar a little.

Tasty Kitchen's Spiced Chai Concentrate

I know I'll especially appreciate this recipe around Christmas time as the aroma for fresh cloves fills the house. I also love having it on hand, in the fridge, ready to pour me (or a guest) a hot or cold version at any time.

Here's some pictures of the process.

The ingredients

A beautiful brew

The finished Chai Concentrate



No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment, we love to hear from you!