May 29, 2012

Summer Time!

Oddly, our "summer" season is ending just as our family's in the States is beginning. We are enjoying lower temps this week and anxiously anticipating the monsoon season which should come with June. Our teacher and other locals we discuss the season with, tell us we'll soon get over our excitement of rainy season and will be singing a different tune within a month, but I doubt it :) I love the rain and never tired of it in Vancouver. (The "cold" I tired of after a day or two :) )

During April and May, school is out while Jackson was only going for an hour or so a day, it was a change for us. I'm finding it hard to put my creativity cap on (which has always been lacking) and think of fun things for them to do during the day that still allows me time to study language and keep us in doors during the hottest time of the day. We've been trying to swim lots, ride bikes, play soccer, and paint in doors. We've even tried putting a kiddie pool on the balcony and later in the bathroom and just letting them go crazy with the water for a while. They LOVE that activity and ask for it daily.

Mid way summer, we signed Jackson up for a summer camp at a local preschool. Ironically, this summer camp was "recycling centered" and all their activities included recycled craft items, "nature" walks, and talking about the environment (at an age appropriate level). I'm all for recycling and the environment, but I say ironically because we live in a country where it is the norm to see trash everywhere, people tossing it on the ground as they walk, and all the "nature" is painted over, or full of waste water, litter, and probably things that aren't appropriate to blog about. I think everyone here needs to take a course in this preschool curriculum :)

Jackson enjoyed summer camp immensely. He thrives on routine and activities, so this was a blessing for all of us. One day they took a field trip to a local park/botanical garden which is slightly less "botanical" than the picture I'm guessing "botanical" conjures up in your mind. So I came along to transport him and take pictures and it turned out to be a very fun outing. Here are some pictures of our Empress Garden outing and our little explorer.
Wasn't too interested in the lilly pads and lotus. He was ready for snack time. 

Intently looking for a squirrel.

Those are some massive bamboo plants that look like a tree.

Jackson's favorite part...riding the tram through the park with his buddies.

1 comment:

Leave us a comment, we love to hear from you!