June 17, 2013

Just a Kid

I love having sons. They are so funny and full of creative energy that I wish I could bottle up and instill in myself. But honestly, having two little boys, so close in age (18 months) can make me feel like the ring leader of a circus act. Or maybe my oldest is the ringleader since he loves to tell everyone what to do ( "directing" as he calls it) and I am just the clean up crew. You know the ones..the poop scoopers, animal feeders, garbage collectors, etc. Yep, "clean up crew" better defines my role in this family circus...

I've been reading a great book lately, called Wild Things: The Art of Nurturing Boys. It's quite comical to hear strait from a male therapist's mouth (and father of sons) that neither moms nor dads understand what goes on inside a little boy's mind. They are a creator all their own and nurturing them is an art form. One I have not mastered, but am more bravely rising to the challenge lately.

A few days ago, Jackson and I were in the garden together letting him burn off some of that "creative energy" and I enjoyed a few precious moments of watching him climb a tree, stick in hand, singing the most fitting song possible. "I'm just a kid with a head full of dreams and a dream full of things to get done. All of my life it's been spinach and greens and I'm ready to have me some fun. Oh I've never captained my own pirate ship, laden with Spanish dab-loons....but hey, it ain't even noon!"











No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a comment, we love to hear from you!