February 11, 2012

A Cultural Day

Today (and much of yesterday) we got to experience some of the differences of our new home, from our old. Our landlord came to town to get our lease registered with the courts and to help us get the necessary documents we need to be "registered foriegnors." These documents are needed for everything here. Like getting internet, cell phones, cable, gas, etc. We started yesterday afternoon and after hours of mostly waiting at the courthouse, we got the lease registered. Our landlord graciously stayed over to help us with the other things today. However, after trying all morning, we walked away with nothing. We went to 3 different places before we found the right office. The office was "closed," despite the workers actually being there. It is open for 2.5 hours on weekdays only. Then the next office wouldn't process our registration with our "c" form. But this "c" form says we need to register with the police in order for it to be processed. So around we went and didn't get anything accomplished, but sure tried are hardest :) We've been warned things just take longer here and if you get one thing accomplished in a day, it is a good day. So we weren't frustrated, just felt bad for our landlord staying over for no reason. It was a cultural difference none the least and we hope to have it settled on Monday, but who knows what could happen :)

Tonight, I had another "first"...shopping in the dark. Power outages are common here but are not "scheduled." So you could be anywhere and it happens. I've been in an amazingly nice mall (nicer than most in the states) and in a nice department store when the lights go out suddenly. What's interesting, is I'm the only one looking around to see "what happened". Everyone else just chills out for a break or pulls out their handy pocket flash light and gets back to what they were doing. Thankfully, we recently got a battery backup for our flat that gives us lights and fans during the outages. So when I went out at 8pm this evening, I didn't realize the power was out until I stepped into the garden area. I do have a mag-light from the states that I could carry with me, but I'd probably get even more odd looks then I already do. (It's huge!) So when I HAD to get diapers and some sort of food to feed my kids in the morning, I just continued on hoping the lights would return soon. Some shops have back-ups, but not the main one I wanted to visit. So I picked out my fruit by the light of a tiny pocket flash-light, and pointed out the only Kellog's cereal I could make out  from the top shelf in a completely dark shop. And when they didn't have correct change (NO ONE seems to have change here, even big grocery stores) I bartered with them, in the dark, over chocolate vs. pepsi as my "change" and then settled on a pack of gum and 10 rupees. I felt quite proud of myself by the end of the walk back to our flat, until I stepped in a dirt hole in the middle of the sidewalk. It wasn't 24/7 Super Walmart, but it worked! I'm just so thankful we have shops within walking distance that have nearly everything we need. It is amazing how much they pack into these tiny shops. You could spend an hour just turning in circles and finding new things high up on the wall shelving. 

1 comment:

  1. "if you get one thing accomplished in a day, it is a good day"

    That advice sounds very Listromesque. Hope you're adjustments continue to go well!

    James and Kristie

    ReplyDelete

Leave us a comment, we love to hear from you!