One of our favorite "kids" songs goes something like this: I want to be thankful, I want to be grateful, I want to remember everything that the Lord has done...
Every time I sing that with the kids I feel conviction in my heart. Am I really living thankfully, gratefully, and thinking on all the things the Lord has done in my life? I think one of the best ways for me to change my attitude from that of discontentment and complaints, is to think on all the things God has done in my life. Amazing things, big and small, none of which I ever deserved. It is so easy to forget what God has brought us through and how He's blessed us, if we're not intentional at recalling them and praising Him for it all again and again. Thinking on His goodness renews my faith in difficult circumstances and gives me a heart full of gratitude.
I was reminded of the need to be intentional in my thanksgiving today when one of our trainers said he can tell if a person is going to "make it" living abroad by what they talk about soon after they arrive. Are they complaining about all that they dont' have anymore, or constantly pointing out the things they don't like about their new culture? Or are they constantly showing their appreciation for the blessings God has given them, little and big? I want to be the latter. Not only b/c I want to "make it" in South Asia, but because I want to have my heart full of gratitude to my God who so deserves every praise I can muster. I want to be like the Apostle Paul and "learn to be content in all circumstances." I also just hate getting into the attitude of being a complainer. It weighs heavy on me and is like a cancer that grows and spreads to others. That's not what I want to grow and spread to others. I want the love and worship of God to grow and multiply. And I believe those are even more infectious.
So I'll start with sharing all that I'm grateful for in this particular season, in this particular place the Lord has me in. 1) I'm grateful that He's brought us to this point, ending training and soon to arrive in the place we know He's called us to. It's been 2 1/2 years of preparation for this and I'm so grateful He's allowed us to here and that He is true to His promises. 2) I'm grateful for all the investments that have been made in us over the last 5 months and all those that gave sacrificially to make it happen. 3) I'm grateful for a family that has supported us although doing so has required much sacrifice on their part, that they did not wish for. 4) I'm grateful for a husband who not only loves me when I'm at my best and worst, but who encourages me, challenges me, and helps me. He is the best partner in this adventure of life that I could ever ask for. 5) I'm so grateful for the two precious boys that God has blessed us with the privilege of parenting. They are not only one of our foremost means of God's sanctifying us, but fill our home and hearts with laughter, love, and joy! We understand God's love for His children more and more everyday and we hope to be blessed with more of our own. 6) I'm thankful for friends, near and far, who I can be transparent with. Who rejoice with me, cry with me, and encourage me. I have the pleasure of having quite a few godly women to look up to and be encouraged by their example. 7) And last (but not exhaustively so) I am so thankful for "seasons" of life. It gives you patience for the difficult elements of the present, something to look forward to and anticipate God's further work in your life, and closure to not be afraid to move on to the next thing. Our "next thing" will be quite an adventure I'm sure, but each season seems to be so in its own way.
South Asia...I hope we're ready for you! 2 more weeks and we'll be "home."
You are amazing! May God continue to fill you with a heart of gratefullness--and your ministry far exceeds the confines of South Asia! love you!
ReplyDelete